SEO has become the ultimate buzz-term for marketers looking to grow website traffic. So, why do you need to harness Search Engine Optimisation?
Search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo generate thousands of web pages and other forms of content from each query, ranked in relevance. In Google alone, there are over 40,000 search queries processed every second. That means, there are approximately 3.5 billion searches per day according to Internet Live Stats. These search results, unlike the paid ads, do not involve payment.
If you want to increase the quality and quantity of your organic website traffic, then it makes sense to put your brand at the forefront of search engine results. This is where SEO comes in.
What is search engine optimisation?
Moz defines SEO as “the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.”
In order to achieve this, the optimisation process is required, which makes it easier for search engines to find your website and add your content to their databases. A website is search engine-friendly if it is structured in a way that search engines understand the design, the content, and responsiveness.
Many SEO experts agree on one major point concerning winning the 2018 SEO game: content is everything. Most of them agree that superior, relevant content that gives users valuable answers to their questions is the secret to staying ahead of the curve.
This leads us to focus our eyes on the users—the very people who type in their queries and expect to get useful results. Getting to know them will help us understand their behaviour, which is the key to providing them with meaningful content. In order to do this, we must ask ourselves: who are they, what are they trying to find and when, why, where and how are they searching?
What are the benefits of SEO?
There’s a plethora of reasons as to why you need to incorporate SEO in your digital marketing strategy. Here are the main three:
- Growing your website’s traffic without paying for it.
Increased traffic is the main reason why you’d want to appear at the top of a search engine’s results page.
- Building brand awareness.
By showing up in search engine results, your website will receive prominent visibility and attract relevant traffic. This will bring increased attention to your brand and inspire trust from potential customers.
- Getting better conversion rates.
Once you have established your brand as an authority in your industry, it’s easier to grab and retain the attention of visitors. This gives you the opportunity to turn them into returning visitors, subscribers and, eventually, loyal customers.
The Best SEO Practices for 2019:
- Make your website URL accessible and crawlable. This means your URL is readable, contains relevant keywords and makes sense, not only to the crawling bots of search engines, but also to your readers.
- Create relevant content that solves the problems of your target market. For this to happen, you need to understand your customer, and effectively research relevant keywords that respond to their needs.
- Since most users exploring the web no longer use a single keyword to ask questions, it’s beneficial to make use of long-tail keywords that feature three or more words.
- Users spend a large majority of their browsing time on mobile devices. Take advantage of this by optimising your website for mobile use.
- Test your website for speed. Make sure images and other media are optimised, high quality and quick to load.